Wednesday, October 25, 2006

I'm home!!!

So I have been in Nigeria exactly 1 week, where do I start? this country is crazy!!. The traffic and the way everyone drives is not a joke oh! other than that, everything is okay, the internet access is not as horrible as I expected. I actually have wireless access at home :). Also, nothing is straight forward, I needed to go open an account, and they are telling me it's not a one day process and I need passport photographs and so much extra stuff and to open with about $3000, na wa oh! Even the corporate accounts I opened in the states, you can open with $5.00 and fund as you get money. I guess the concept of start-up business here doesn't really apply.

Anyway, it's good to be back home, I am starting to notice a lot of things about Nigeria and Nigerians in general that I didn't notice before when I was here. For one, they ask a lot of bloody questions.

THEM: "Ah...so how long are you in town?"
ME: "Oh, I'm here permanently now?"
THEM: "Really?!!!.....why?!!!...."
ME: "Hmmm...I was tired of staying there..." and some other BS
THEM: Some long explanation justifying why I have made the wrong or the right decision, or how I have gained weight, or how I don't remember them and so on and so on
THEM: "So where are you going to live?"
ME: "My husband has found a place in ***** we're just waiting to fix it up and move in"
THEM: "So what will you do here?, what does your husband do? what will he do here?"


....

The questions just go on and on and on, I don't know if it's just me, but I'm used to everyone minding their business in the states, it's almost like they even hem you into a corner so you can't even run from them.

The other thing is everyone just grabs your baby without asking you if it's ok, that I can't stand, even when I say, oh she's fussy, or she's tired, or she will cry, they are still trying to drag her from my arms. What the hell?.

Oh also, I went to the palms and silverbird, and they are both seriously overrated. I haven't done any night trips yet, so I can't tell you about the night life.

Well that's about it so far.

4 comments:

Omo Ibadan said...

Wow...congratulations on your move back and your "new" baby. I just stumbled on your blog today. Keep us posted on your progress.
God Bless

Unknown said...

Ha HA HA!!! Thats African Love for u!! U just have to try getting used too it!! Or u'll be getting very angry or displeased friends, inlaws and acquaintances.

Hope ur decision to move back is fulfilling and worthwhile for you all. Cheers!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I only just stumbled on your blog so am just catching up- love it so far!

I moved back to Lagos a few months before you, and having never really lived here, I'm sure you can imagine it was an eye-opener, and I totally agree with you on most things. Daunting traffic, questions (mine was 'why are you so thin? Don't you eat?? Why do you have natural hair? WHY???') etc.

Had to comment on you saying The Palms/Silverbird are overrated, though. Yeah, compared to the developed world, they have a loooooooong way to go. In fact, The Palms annoys me because there is sod all to do/buy there, despite the glitz (and sorry, shoprite is crap). But we do have to give credit that at least there is SOME improvement in different corners of this insane city. It will take a while, but at least we seem to be moving in the right direction, albeit at snail's pace.

I grew up in the UK and lived in the states for a few years, and even going back to london seemed like being in a 'third world country' (excuse my un-PC term) compared to the snazzy malls, supermarkets and shopping centres in the US, so yeah I can imagine what you expected when people harped on about our Nigerian malls- hehe!

Anyway, I still have about a year of your blog to get through, so we might be seeing eye to eye on those things now- hehe. We'll see. So let me get back to it. Like I said- love it!!!

Oh- sorry for the long post!

Anonymous said...

lol i moved back last yr from the states and im cracking up cos i also feel nigerians r too nosey w the questions, its on my damn nerve! lol