Saturday, September 23, 2006

Nigerian Graduates

It looks like every one of my friends I talk to in Nigeria is moaning and complaining about money or the lack of it rather. I am quite a resourceful person and I find it difficult to believe that there's not much a graduate can do to earn money. I know the job market is dreadful and the pay is nothing to write home about, but all the same there are people surviving one way or the other.

I spoke to my good friend yesterday and our conversation is always the same, she's not happy with her job (job function and salary). So me actually knowing what bills are now, told her that since she doesn't have any major financial responsibility (other than doing her hair and looking sharp) she should quit and find a job in the industry that she wants to work (which happens to be Television). I told her she should approach the companies she's interested in and tell them she'll work for free or whatever she needs to do (within limits of course) to get the relevant job experience. She was like "ehn...no oh!, how will I survive?, I know I live in my father's house but that's about it, who will put fuel in my car?, how will I do my hair?...." and the list went on and on.

My feeling is that in the grand scheme of this thing that they call "your future" those things are very irrelevant...abi am I tripping? Each time I try to encourage her she just says "Don't worry shebi you're coming home? you'll see what I mean".

So really... what are the options for Nigerian graduates in Nigeria? I really think that the period you don't have major financial responsibilities, a family of your own, rent to pay...etc is really the time to experiment and find that thing that you love to do...Am I being unrealistic? For those of you who moved home from abroad did your feelings towards this change when you got home?

6 comments:

ChiefO said...

problem is most people dont want to take risks. some expect things to be a bed of roses but they forget that roses themselves have thorns. wont mind moving back to naija if there is an offer or if i get posted to naija cos i actually started thinking about it. but one thing i know is that most grads in naija are not positioning themselves right. take ur friend for one, she doesnt like wat she is doing now. she wants to be on TV yet she wont take the risk of working with a TV, either for free or not and while at it prove herself and end up getting wat she wants. yet she complains she aint happy.

9jamommy said...

chiefo, you hit the nail on the head.

NaijaBloke said...

Hmm.. this is one issue we shd try and look at with the situation in Nigeria and not with any other countries.When u r talking abt somebody taking a risk by leaving their job to look for a better and suitable job,did u put into considerations factors that affects getting a job in Naija.

When it comes to getting a job in Naija,10% is considered on merit basis and the other 90% is who u know and who knows somebody.The colleges in Naija r churning out enuff graduates every graduating class now that companies in naija now have choices.For example,one of my cousins went for an interview and was told they r not employing anybody that is over 30yrs of age.So telling somebody to leave a job in Naija to look for another one is a lil' bit scary o.

Anonymous said...

what made you decide to move back home?

9jamommy said...

@naijabloke, I understand, but really, if you can't take a risk at 24 or 25, when can you take one?

Are you telling me that the job market is so competitive in Nigeria, that they wouldn't even take you if you offer to work for free?

If that's the case that's serious oh!

@anonymous, my husband and I have been here over 9 years and we're tired of the rat race. Also, my employers agreed to allow me work from naija so I'm definitely not passing that up.

9jamommy said...

@naijabloke, oh and what happened to your friend is really messed up.