Tuesday, February 13, 2007

History of Love

So Mr. and I went to the History of Love 101 concert over the weekend. The turnout wasn't great and like most things Nigerian it was poorly organized. I was really looking to Paul I.K. Dairo and Donell Jones. Paul's performance was a joke, I think on the way to the venue they saw a couple of girls hanging out and asked them if they wanted to come along and be his backup dancers.

There were 4 of them in total, 2 men 2 women, I didn't really notice the men cause the women left me with a lot to think about. The first girl had some scarves tied to her upper arm, had on a dress/shirt thingy (these days you never know whether they are dresses or shirts) and leggings (yes leggings not spandex), and some ankle boots or something, she seemed really intent on acting play on stage. The second girl had on a 'face-cap' (yes face-cap not baseball hat) some runner shorts (like the type male track athletes wear) and a top. I hope I'm giving you a good enough visual, infact even better, you remember when you were younger and you did 'step dances' with your sisters/cousins/etc for your parents/uncles/aunties? yeah that's exactly what it was, only worse. My apologies if you know any of these chicks but a little practice never hurt anyone.

(Donell Jones) Then Donell, oh Donell my love, I really liked his performance, it got to the point that I was singing so much that one guy on our table told me and his wife/girlfriend to go join our husband on stage...lol. His DJ was actually sort of attractive, in that ghetto I'll bitch slap you type of way, if that's your thing of course. Maybe I just miss NY a little too much....lol

D'banjand his Kokolets

Now one person I hadn't given much thought to was D'banj, boy did he put on a show. Granted, he yelled a lot of 'things' I'll rather not have heard but you could tell that he put some thought into the performance. Homeboy game out in a bright purple sequinned outfit, looking like a straight up pimp. He had me saying 'kokolet' and 'mamalet' (heeeeeey!!) all day......lol (let's hope this doesn't last too long). He even had a 'towel girl' who just came between songs to wipe his sweat..lol. I'm not even going to talk about the whole 'anaconda' thing.

Chante MooreKenny Lattimore
I'm not really Chante and Kenny fans but they put on a good show as well, they really make a cute couple. By the time 112 came out there about 50 folks left, they didn't come on till like 2:30 a.m. they were good as well.

(112)


All in all it was a good show, I kinda felt sorry for the stars though because the crowd was so dull (yeah I know that includes me, but it is what it is..). Where are all those crazy hyper people when you need them?...LOL

So was it worth 50K? probably not but I had a decently good time. Sorry my camera batteries were weak so I couldn't take more and better pics.

12 comments:

Bella Naija said...

1st again! I'm proud of myself oo lol
Yeah the concert, looked rather interesting. I am sure it would have been FIYAH if the organizers had been more serious bout the whole thing.
I feel kinda bad for the stars tho, coming all that way to play for a subdued crowd. Epele to them.
D'Banj on the other hand is something else. I just luv him.

So what r u doing for Vals day itself?

Anonymous said...

Dang... looks like so much fun.. wish i was there.. donnell sings the soundtrack to my heart

Anonymous said...

Eyaaa! sorry it was a little sub-par for you. But you got to hang out with your boo!
:)

9jamommy said...

@bella naija...lol, it's really not hard to be the first commenter here..lol. Girl please anything that falls on a week day is pretty much dead for me, so we're not going to do a damn thing, except maybe be nicer to each other..lol

@onb...yeah it was kinda fun, at least it was entertaining, aww that's so cute about donell...yeah I'm definitely going to borrow that line...lol

@chichi...no worries, like you said it was good hanging out with Mr. considering I'm always glued to my laptop

Uzo said...

I was there and actually had a fab time. That Anaconda song was rude but so entertaining. I had a blast and i was up front as well singing and dancing with a fellow blogger. I actually didnt like Donell Jones' performance so much. His voice had a watery quality to it. I had a blast...

9jamommy said...

@uzo, glad you had a good time, I didn't have a horrible time it just wasn't as good as I expected...Yeah D'banj was actually quite entertaining, lol..You didn't like Donell??...'watery' voice ke? my Donell can do no wrong!!..lol

Anonymous said...

Me thinks the price was too hefty. It would have more sense for that to be charged for singles for the ThisDay concert which took place last year and had the likes of Beyonce, Snoop, Jay Z etc. That was really a blast. Paid (in theory) for my spouse to attend that to see his much-beloved Beyonce and he is still grateful for that. Tee hee.

What I was upset about, was missing my LL Cool J one. Spouse wasn't in town and the price was suspicious, was afraid of touts etc.

Judging from the ThisDay concert, they can be very well organised. So Lagos is doing its bit....

uknaija said...

Good to see you're having fun :-)

Mrs Somebody said...

ok..9ja mummy it's good to know you and Mr are warming up for 9ja baby number 2.keep it up!

9jamommy said...

lm, yeah it was a bit pricey, but this isn't a daily affair so I guess it's ok. Yeah I heard about the LL one but we had just arrived and I wasn't so sure about it....

uknaija...thanks mommy has to get her 'bubble' on..lol

mrs somebody, mrs somebody, mrs somebody...how many times did I say your name? you better stop with that whole baby number 2 talk o!...lol

Anonymous said...

its been a while.. hope youre alright mami

Uzo said...

Okay...you really need to update now? Ah Ah

Naija Blogger Bachelor premiere's on my blog today. Check it out and be sure to vote....